Whorlton Old Church and Castle
Monday 9th July 2012 at 2 pm
On site visit and instruction
Carol Cook and James Lawton
On a cold, overcast but thankfully dry July afternoon, around 20 members enjoyed an interesting afternoon in Whorlton. There is now little left of the old village so the main points of interest were the remains of the old castle and the church. We divided into two groups to learn more from our tutors, Carol Cook and James Lawton. Carol, a local historian with a wealth of knowledge of the history of the castle, showed us around the remains, telling its story and giving us an insight into how it would have looked during its lifetime from its origins in the early 12th century to its demise in the 18th century. She also pointed out various earthworks, the remains of the deer park that once encircled Whorl Hill.
James, an archaeology graduate and a “local boy” from Swainby, showed us around the Holy Cross Old Church, showing us the various points of interest and describing how the building had evolved from its early, probably Saxon, origins. Of particular interest was the effigy made of bog oak and commemorating the second Lord Nicholas de Meynell of Whorlton Castle, who died in 1322. It is thought to be the only wooden, London-
He then took us a few hundred yards along the road to view the site of an iron age settlement that had been the main source of inspiration for his Master’s degree.
Whorlton Castle Gatehouse
Carol Cook talking to members inside the gatehouse
David Chadwick on the old staircase
On top of the remains of the old castle
For more information about the history of the castle please click here
The remains of Holy Cross Church
James Lawton talking to members inside the church
The bog oak effigy of Nicholas de Meynell
Further information about the both the church and the castle can be found by clicking here